Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Boots and Marmots: The Demise of My 2011 JMT thru-hike.

In the summer of 2011, I decided to finally hike the John Muir Trail.  I had wanted to for a long time, ever since my family and I encountered JMT thru-hikers on my first backpacking trip in Yosemite.  I was familiar with it's layout, location, and length (211 miles) because I had hiked sections during previous summers, so I felt confident I could hike it solo in about 3 weeks time.

I found it apt that Dr. Godfrey said my first blog story was full of "recklessness," because I do tend to be more impulsive, deciding on plans and changing them on a whim, and I get myself into harry situations quite often because of that.  This trip was no different.  Instead of beginning the trail in Yosemite or at the Whitney Portal, the official start/ end points, I arranged to get dropped off at Road's End in Kings Canyon National Park, about a 2 hour drive east of Fresno.  Many trailheads into the Sierra Nevada backcountry begin at Road's End, and I wanted to get to the Whitney Portal on the other side of the Sierras by taking a route I'd never been on before.

The snowpack that summer was measured at 150% above normal at many high altitude sites, including many portions of the JMT, so I knew it would be quite an adventure, especially on the less traveled Bubbs Creek trail leading to the junction I intended to use while heading southeast toward the Whitney Portal.  When I got to the area where Avalanche Pass was suppose to be, it was completely snowed over and only a few protruding pine trees were visible.  I only had a map and compass, not a GPS device, so I decided to backtrack since there were no footprints.  No one had been through the area yet (late May).

As I trudged along heading toward a familiar junction leading onto the JMT, I was exhilarated, relieved to finally be back in the wilderness, where time seems to pass slower and survival as well as the surrounding natural wonders supersede all else.  After I reached the junction later that day, I continued on to camp near a pass I wanted to climb that night, but the threat of collapsing snow bridges caused me to stop and camp at a high altitude, a decision that began the demise of my hike.  Sometime that night, marmots chewed the ends and heels of my boots, and when I put them on the next morning (they were practically frozen, and so were my feet), I hiked with what amounted to little blades gnawing on my feet.  I didn't feel the damage being done until later that morning.

Needless to say, by noon, similar to my first blog, I was in a predicament.  To keep this blog down to it's suggested length, I ended up making it to the eastern end of the Sierras and hiked my way out on the Kearsarge Pass trail near the town of Independence.  When I was nearing the trailhead, a man and his son caught up to me and I asked him if he could give me a ride into Independence, which he agreed to.  From Independence, I caught a shuttle to Yosemite and eventually got picked up in Merced.  A cool story I want to end this on is sometime before I got dropped off in Independence, my camera fell between the man's jeep seats and I thought it was gone forever (I realized I didn't have it in Yosemite).

For the heck of it, I decided to create a Craigslist post in the San Diego area inquiring about a hitchhiker's lost camera, and I posted similar threads on the Whitney Portal Store and Whitney Zone message boards.  What happened?  I received an email a couple days later by a Whitney Portal Store message board member (an Inyo National Forest Park Ranger) with a link in it to a Fresno Bee article about a lost camera.  The guy remembered I said I was from Fresno and called the Bee!  Marek Warszawski, a sports writer and the Out There outdoors columnists wrote an article to see if they could find the owner, and when I emailed him and got it back, he wrote a follow up blog about it, explaining that I used my middle name with the guy at the Road's End permit station, that's why they couldn't locate me.  I was going to post the links but they are nonexistant now, but the point is to emphasis the fact I stated in my first blog post that it is a sort of culture of backpackers, and the generosity and camaraderie is unbelievable.

http://journeytojmt.blogspot.com/

http://jmtbook.com/?cat=3

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to add that I healed up and hiked the trail later that summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story about the innate camaraderie of hikers, and I like the ambitious tone of your trips. It provides a startling backdrop to the wilderness that most deem peaceful, but is really a hell of an endurance test. I look forward to reading more of your survival stories, and I’d love if you threw in a hikers tip here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you got your camera back! It's interesting to hear of--this camaraderie between hikers, and it makes me smile. Interesting story! I believe I read this one as a non-fiction piece before, no? Nonetheless, it was just as entertaining in blog form. I have to agree with Brandon, you should definitely throw in some hikers tips and perhaps go further into defining some of that hiker lingo you have going there. Great blog, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am extremely shocked at the lengths you go to in order to hike. I admire your spontaneous attitude and your courage. It seems like you are very patient and humble in regards to your adventures, which I really like! Your writing really paints a picture of every detail of your hikes. I also like the bit at the end about your camera. Crazy that these people actually put in an effort to get it back to you! Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete