Thursday, March 7, 2013

Busted Knee and Busted Hike

     This past summer, I enjoyed my second attempt at through hiking the John Muir Trail.  I was able to complete it, but not in one outing, known, as mentioned above, as a through hike, or more commonly among backpackers spelled "thru-hike."  True to form, I got injured again, about half way through the 211 mile trail.  About noonish, I was crossing a shallow but very slick creek with large, smooth rocks covered in algae.  I was about a third of the way across when I slipped, and I reflexively shot my right leg out to prevent myself from falling, but I over-compensated and my knee locked very awkwardly.  It was no doubt due to the weight of my backpack, which was about 65 pounds, but I was able to stay on my feet and gradually walk off the funny feeling (not really pain) on the other side of the creek.

     I felt nothing after I got back up to a steady pace, but later that evening it started aching, but it wasn't significant enough to stop for.  The pain subsided that night and I woke up good to go, but this time the pain returned earlier than it did the previous evening, so I reluctantly took a couple Ibuprofen tablets and rested a bit.  It worked, but by the late evening it was pretty much throbbing, so I stopped and camped earlier than usual.  On the third day, I hadn't hiked more than a half hour before it started hurting again, and I tried to ignore it until I became a gimp, then began popping Ibuprofen every couple hours, which was becoming less and less effective.  Wanting to prevent long-term damage, I decided to hike out the nearest exit, rest and recover, and pick up where I left off near the end of summer.

     I did just that, and here are some cool pictures I snapped on those adventures.




















3 comments:

  1. You wrote an interesting story Illya. I enjoy the machismo that seems to seethe through your online persona, but, honestly, I would love if you could incorporate some of the history of the trail into your blog. (i.e who lived there before colonization, when did Mr. Muir found the trail, et cetera.) Furthermore, I feel as if some of the specifics of the hiking process are left out: what kind of gear do your need to hike the trail, what kind preparation and precautions did you take? That kind of stuff would improve your blog immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite the little ruffian! interesting story and lovely assortment of photos. Maybe you could add some details about the scenery or the detour you took because of your injury. Or maybe more about the people you ran into or saw while hiking. Good stuff, sir. I'm curious to read your next hiking adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly amazed that you have the strength and perseverance to hike by yourself and push through injuries. Many hats off to you! I really like your additional visuals in this post. It's nice to see photos along with your stories. I am enjoying all of your posts and keeping up with your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete